Re: Rental policies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 07:05:44 -0800 (PST)
On 9 Nov 2011, at 2:40 PM, Marty Roberts wrote:

> Our understanding is that this language will apply AFTER the bill
> passes, but prior to Jan. 1, we can amend the CC&R's to apply to
> everyone.  Thus the rush to decide about this before the end of the
> year.

If you read the bill, it is concerned with "retroactively" applying laws to
owners and to prohibiting renting and leasing completely.

The bill will require that whatever rules were in place when the unit was sold,
apply to that unit unless the owner has voluntarily given up that right. After
1/1/12, as soon as a unit is sold whatever new rules are in place will apply.

If you have no limitations now, you won't be able to apply new rules to
_present owners_ after Jan 1. After Jan 1 you can still make new rules that
apply to new owners and to old owners who accept them. So if you pass new rules
after Jan 1, and your present owners accept them, they will apply to everyone,
new or old.

If you haven't had problems with this so far, why would you have them after Jan
1?

Not a lawyer but the bill seems pretty clear on this.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC