Re: Rental policies?
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 13:11:46 -0800 (PST)
> This would allow a family to rent a unit while on a sabbatical or for
other similar non-emergency temporary absences IF they made a
convincing case to the Board.

Does the board actually make that decision, or bring it to the group for
consensus?

I've served as a trustee on our board since inception, and I'd hate it to
fall to me to say yes or no to someone asking about this.  I know every
person in our community (as I imagine all cohousers do)...I know their life
circumstances, their families, and often I have an idea of their financial
situations.  I'd be hard pressed to look one of my community members in the
eye and say "No, sorry, your case isn't convincing enough, you may not
rent."

Has this actually come up for your community yet?  Have you had people ask
for an exception and be denied?

What would you do if someone rented without permission?  (To be honest, if
I went to the board to ask for permission and was denied because my case
was unconvincing, my reaction would likely be "f---- you" and I'd do it
anyway.  I'm not a big one for rules!)

- Diana (Mosaic Commons in Berlin, MA)