Re: Guestroom Classifications [was Rental policies]
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:40:29 -0800 (PST)
Part of the challenge comes from defining a "dwelling unit".  By most public
sector definitions, a dwelling unit exists if it is a separate, lockable space
with a code-compliant three-fixture bathroom and a means for storing and
preparing food (a.k.a., "kitchen", or something a lot like a kitchen).

At Cornerstone, our guest room has a three-fixture bath, but nothing even
vaguely like a kitchen — so it will never be a dwelling unit, or second home.
But I can certainly picture some coho guest suites as resembling studio
apartments — and some jurisdictions will take an interest in this (health, life
safety, density, taxes, whatever).

RPD