Re: Rental policies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:44:26 -0800 (PST)
On 10 Nov 2011, at 12:27 PM, Diana Carroll wrote:

> Laws force people who want to do something NOT to (or TO do something they
> do NOT want to.)

I understand what you mean but most laws regulate living together so everyone
in the community has the same understandings and expectations. Particularly in
cohousing we adopt them by consensus, they are community agreements designed
for the welfare of everyone in the community.

As odd or unfair as many of us think zoning laws and construction codes are,
whether we agree with them or not there is usually a good reason they were made
by the communities that made them.

If there are no such understandings, it isn't a community. Some understandings
can just exist but the larger the community and the more complex and the more
it is involved with affecting the basic needs for food, shelter, clean air,
personal boundaries, and relationships, the more they need to be written down
and formally accepted.

I live in a community where we have had a number of new people move in who are
wonderful and very energetic and very involved. Some new people just moved in
and melted into the woodwork so we didn't really notice a difference. The
active newbies have pointed out to us how many expectations we have that are
not written down. One flurry was over a new person, here in Dec for the first
time, reserving the whole CH for an afternoon and evening between Christmas and
New Years. Another on Christmas Day night. Another on Christmas Eve. No one,
literally no one had ever done this before.

We have movie madness every night between Christmas Day Night and New Years's
Eve — someone chooses and shows a film often on a theme like comedies, old
classics, etc. Sometimes a double feature with an early movie for kids. Since
people are not teaching, kids are off from school, and others have short weeks
or days, we leave the CH free for spontaneous and non-exculsive events. There
is almost always events on Christmas Eve and during the day but no one
organizes it until the last minute. Some of us were really shocked when the CH
was "taken away" but the new people couldn't have known.

Some new residents have been very frustrated to come up against so many
"agreements" that aren't written anywhere. Since they are often told different
things by different people, they want things written down. And because many of
the older residents don't like to have to start over every time a new person
"starts over" we want them written down too.

That is not to suggest that everything being written down is possible or even
desirable but avoiding it won't make a strong community unless you are very
small, have simple interactions, do not own property, are not liable for member
actions, etc. To view these agreements as forcing people into behaving certain
ways is counter-community building.

I am always amazed that people think they can't question rules. My own approach
is to want the agreement/policy/rule/law but also to have a process for
exceptions. So members can post a message that says, I understand that our
agreement is such and such but this situation is different and I need to _____.
If you have objections please let me know before ____.

No agreement/policy/rule/law will cover all needs so there will be exceptions
but having them provides stability and common understandings.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC