Re: personal storage in common house
From: RPD-Comcast (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 16:48:41 -0800 (PST)
Cornerstone Cohousing is another urban development on a tight site - "tight"
because land is hyper-expensive in Cambridge, and you have to pack with a lot
of small units in order to afford it - with relatively limited indoor and
outdoor common space.  Of our 32 units, 8 are modestly-sized townhouses with
doors to the exterior and private basements.  The other 24 units are in
apartment format, sharing common entry, common corridors, and common basements
partially partitioned into unit-dedicated storage area.  So far, so good, and
pretty conventional.  Even so ...

We tend to have, from time to time,  a certain amount of "personal
expropriation of common space" issues.  By way of example ...

  -  Households will occasionally intrude into common corridors with personal
lifestyle support accessories ranging from shoes and archival paper storage to
libraries, knicknacks, and pizza boxes.
  -  Other intrusions involve, not corridors, but rather the common rooms
themselves, like, unanticipated furniture offerings and artwork*.
  -  Some intrusions are outdoors, where, for instance, one of our presumably
scarce and valuable parking spaces was occupied for years by scrap metal (i.e.,
an unregistered old car).

What I've found interesting at Cornerstone is that the community -
conflict-averse as it is - is very reluctant to acknowledge these
"transgressions", or discuss them openly in public.  Fortunately, most of these
"conflicts" remain low grade, and do not much interfere with the quality of our
relationships.

RPD

* PS:  A personal confession.  I am one of the offenders, and intentionally so.
 I am a reasonably competent amateur photographer, and over the last four
years, have loaded up our common house with a large quantity of framed output.
I never asked permission from anyone, I just did it. I think I've gotten away
with this because most of my pictures are of Cornerstone families, not of road
kill.

Sent from my iPad