Re: personal storage in common house
From: bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 09:12:51 -0800 (PST)
Here at Swans Cohousing each household has a personal storage space in the
Basement which is about  5 ft by 6 or 7 ft but with very tall ceilings, maybe
12 ft high so some of us have built custom shelving in ours which works to hold
lots of infrequently used stuff.  We also each have 1 parking space in our
covered garage and many of us use the space in front of our car for additional
storage.  The garage space available in front of the cement car stopper is
about 2 ft by 4 ft by 10 ft high so again a number of people have installed
storage shelves there.  In addition we have a workshop in the Common House
which is fairly large and a number of people have tools and craft project
materials in there; we also store the community emergency supplies (food,
water,first aid supplies, radios, etc) in there.  Our front doors are metal so
we can leave messages on each others doors easily by using a magnet and that
method is often used.  There is some minor personal goods creep into the Common
space, mostly art work and furniture in the Common House but we have a Common
House Committee who deals with that on a case by case basis.  Our community is
very urban in the heart of the downtown financial district so there is no
outside space available for people to spill over onto.  I would say planning
for personal storage spaces for things like bikes, camping and sports equipment
and just miscellaneous treasures is important otherwise the common house
committee will spend all their time defending the space from encroachment.
                   Bonnie Fergusson
                Swans Market Cohousing
                   Oakland, CA

Sent from my iPad