Re: Costco Sells Tiny Houses
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:01:57 -0800 (PST)

On 20 Nov 2011, at 1:26 PM, Dane Laverty wrote:

> I'm loving this Sharon. Thanks for sharing! This fits well with the vision
> I have for the community I hope to build.

So many people over the years have talked about low income housing with no/few
solutions. If tiny houses could be made to work, it would be wonderful for some
locations. I've seen these in small towns on a the main street used as artist's
studios — probably not approved for occupancy but one had the bedroom and
kitchen intact.

I was told a number of years ago how people move from New York City to Maine.
They buy land on which they camp for a few years in tents and clear land. Then
they pour a concrete foundation and camp on that. Gradually they bring in
electricity and plumbing. And build the house. Or build the house and then
bring in electricity and plumbing. Then they look for jobs. Then they move.

A cluster of hardy souls might start with a well-planned community and build
the houses a few at a time so the whole concept is there but accomplished in
stages. The homes are small by any standards but people all over the world live
in similar spaces. There is always the option of later enlarging the living
space with enclosed porches, covered decks, and added rooms, or another house.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC