Re: Mission statements
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:38:55 -0800 (PST)
I'm wondering if maybe "Mission Statement" is some kind of misnomer that leads
us astray.  When I think about "missions", they tend to be very explicit about
tasks and goals, like ... Place a colony on Mars.  Eliminate poverty in Baxter
County.  Become the international leader in guitar-making from locally
harvested wood.  That kind of thing.  Maybe sort of like a campaign or business
plan.

I can't speak for any any other cohousing, but I am kind of intuiting that this
level of focus and specificity will not work for my community, Cornerstone in
Cambridge, MA.  I am wondering if "Identity Statement" isn't more appropriate:
Who we are, and whom we aspire to be.

Eh?

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140
617.354.6094

PS: Cornerstone's "Mission Statement", ten years old, now needs a lot of work