Re: Mission statements
From: David Bygott (davidbygottyahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 21:39:18 -0800 (PST)
Here is our example of vision, mission and values, at Milagro. We too, at about
our 7 year mark, wanted to revise these statements in the light of who we had
become. It was a huge and lengthy process because we were very scrupulous about
involving everyone and trying to find words which everyone could consense on.
We created a task force which organized meetings of the whole community, of
neighborhood 'quadrants' and even randomly chosen triads. We populated huge
poster boards with hundreds of color-coded Post-Its and subjected them to
ruthless selection. For almost the first time since construction, everybody had
a common aim. Two years later, I doubt that many of us could reproduce from
memory the vision, mission and values contained in the link below. More
important in my view was the amount of time we all devoted to working on this
together, and the unifying effect that had on us!
http://www.milagrocohousing.org/milagro_003.htm

Thanks Sharon for your point about the importance of aims - something my
community needs to discuss more.

David Bygott
Milagro Cohousing