Re: Smoking Policies
From: bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:29:02 -0800 (PST)
      At Swans Market Cohousing we have a policy of no smoking allowed in any
of our common areas which includes the common house, the walkway that all our
front doors face, the garage and the garden ( several peoples balconies and
windows face the garden).  None of our owners smoke but everyone occasionally
has relatives or guests who come to stay for varying periods of time who smoke
and they have to exit the community entirely to get to an external courtyard
where they can smoke.  We currently have a student from Saudi Arabia staying
with us who smokes and we joke about his need to "take a short walk" which is
code for go smoke a cigarette.  We also had to train him not to just drop his
cigarette butts on the ground out there.
        I don't think it's legally possible to forbid smoking in peoples own
homes but it's both possible and desirable to prohibit smoking in all the
common areas where second hand smoke could affect the health of others who have
not chosen to take on that health risk.  The down side of this policy is it
somewhat limits the pool of potential people who will buy into your community,
but as smoking becomes increasingly unpopular and uncommon this becomes less
and less of a meaningful issue.
                         Bonnie Fergusson
                        Swans Market Cohousing
                        Oakland, CA