Re: Wood floors in CommonHouse
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:03:32 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA. We've had our Common House 11 years now. We have sustainably-harvested oak flooring in our great room (used for dining, meeting). Stone-type tile in foyer, halls and bathrooms. Marmoleum in kitchen and what was the kid room. Bamboo in the rec room.

The wooden floor looks great, and has some pretty inlaid parquetry in the center. We switch to slippers indoors. Or non-street shoes for dances. With hindsight, I would have chosen a more durable finish for it. We used a very "eco" product called OS Hard Wax Oil finish, from Germany I think. It has been excellent for all the interior doors and woodwork, which still look good as new. But the floor shows some wear, especially in the food-serving-line area.
I'm glad we have the wood floor. Seems more home like.

Check out cork. I"ve seen some very attractive cork flooring, including at dentists and doctors' offices. I think maybe Sharingwood used it in their common house.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org