Re: Smoking Policies
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:03:55 -0800 (PST)
We had a lot of discussion on this topic (a LOT!) this year.

We did bring it back to our values, which among others include that we will
be *welcoming*.  To tell a visitor that they must leave our community to
smoke is not very welcoming.  Very few, if any, of our members are regular
smokers, but plenty of visitors smoke.  We've had weddings, bar mitzvahs
another similar celebrations to which lots of non-cohousers come.  it
seemed a bit much to ask an attendee at a wedding to walk out of our
(several acre) site to smoke.  In fact, odds are if we asked that, they
just wouldn't.  (How would we "ask", when someone is coming just for an
event anyway?)

We had a lot of discussion about how smoking isn't healthy, and why should
we be welcoming to unhealthy behaviors.  Can't we welcome the *people*
without welcoming their behaviors?

But in the end, what we did is designate certain outdoor areas, those least
likely to have passerby, as smoking areas.  Part of our criteria in
selecting smoking spots was that those spots should make visitors who smoke
feel welcome, not excluded.  We wanted, ideally, an area covered from the
elements, and with seating.

One thing to think about is: what happens when you DO get a smoking member
moving in?  If they perceive the rules as unreasonable and stigmatizing,
they might ignore them.

The discussion was pretty heated, with people on all sides.

- Diana from Mosaic Commons in MA