Re: Smoking Policies
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:12:12 -0800 (PST)
Another thought: one of the key moments in our discussion was when one of
our members responded to the idea that people "shouldn't" smoke.  She said
(paraphrased): I have relatives and loved ones who are recovering from
serious, life threatening addictions to alcohol, heroin, etc.  Cigarettes
help them stay sober/straight.  It's easy for you to say that smoking is
"bad", but I would much rather have my loved one choose smoking over
returning to his heroin addiction.  I WANT them to smoke.

I think that helped take a lot of the air out of the kind of nasty
judgmentalism that was going on in the conversation.  Judging is easy when
the world is black and white, but doing so dishonors the complexity of the
human experience.

"Until I've walked a mile in your shoes...."