Re: ? Wood floors in CommonHouse?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 07:41:17 -0800 (PST)
Hi - Sorry -- didn't find the answer to why you shouldn't wear outside shoes on
bamboo floors in the FAQs of the site you linked to.  The only thing I saw was
avoiding dragging in dust, grit, dirt etc.  This is a good thing for ALL floors
not just bamboo.

My question is ... why have a floor you can't walk on in your shoes?  If I had
to change shoes every time I went in the CH I'd never go in it.  Our CH is
highly used and it would be a nuisance to change shoes all the time.  Also,
there are two of us in power wheel chairs plus one person who uses a walker
plus a service dog.  That would obviate any benefit to changing out of shoes.

The flooring in our CH is oak in the main sitting and dining areas.  Cork on
the traffic areas.  We have 65 adults and 25 kids.  Everyone picks up their
mail in the CH so the traffic is steady 7 days a week.  The kids stream in and
out to use the play room, the tween room and the LR.  After 11 years, we've
just had the floors cleaned and refinished.

My suggestion:  use flooring that is easy to care for and doesn't require a lot
of behavior change that can annoy people and reduce use of your CH.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC