Re: ? Wood floors in CommonHouse? + Bamboo floors
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:27:08 -0800 (PST)
IMO, the endorsement for bamboo below is a bit over-enthusiastic.

There ARE ways to harvest bamboo in a sustainable manner, and ways which are
not so.  Meaning, that not all bamboo
floors are alike.
Secondly, Bamboo floors can be toxic, depending on the way the bamboo was
processed, and what glues are being used.
It didn't use to be possible to by non/low toxic bamboo, but as far as I know
that has changed.  It means, though, that it's something
that's needed to be looked into.
I think there are issues to do with how workers are being treated in the
manufacturing process, but I haven't checked on this in a long
time.
Also, it might be useful to remember that it comes from far away, and as such
has a not so small embodied energy.

This isn't to say that bamboo is bad, but it's not a panacea either.

Racheli, Sonora Cohousing, Tucson.