Re: Wood floors in CommonHouse, shoes off?
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:10:40 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA.
Ann rightly points out that not everyone can reasonably be expected to shed shoes for the Common House. At RoseWind, where we've had a shoes- off policy for 11 years, we do not expect it of anyone in a wheelchair, with special or physically-needed shoes, or basically anyone who is challenged to change into slippers, or who is concerned lest they slip without their shoes. But that's a small fraction of users. I'm sure our wooden dining room floor has benefitted greatly from the decreased dirt load.

Shoes are ok in our front hall/foyer area, which is tiled and has a runner rug. That area includes our mailboxes and bathrooms, so such short errands don't need shoes off. English Country Dance group changes into clean dance shoes, which also works better for dancing.

We are helped by local culture: many private homes in our town are shoes-off, and many of us wear slip-off shoes to make it easy to do so. The kids mostly come from shoes-off homes, so they do it pretty automatically. Occasionally, if we've had outsiders trooping through in quantity, like when we are on a kitchen tour or garden tour, we bring out a box of slip-on shoe booties (like in hospital operating rooms). We've not had any complaints. We have benches to sit on, cubbies for personal slippers, and baskets of loaners people can choose to use. In our town, it's not uncommon for folks to tuck slippers into their bag when they go to visit someone!

So, how much resistance to behavior change varies with locale!
Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
sitting here at home in my sock feet...