Shoes in the common house (WAS Wood floors in CommonHouse?)
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:52:16 -0800 (PST)
What matters to me is that people understand that statements like "its just
practical" are not actually universal statements. Perhaps "we find it to be
practical in our community?"

I've visited lots of coho communities and I've either worn the shoe coverings,
or I've taken off my shoes as required. I've never complained. But I HAVE noted
to myself: "oh my goodness, I can't live in cohousing if this is a universal
rule!"

And I go to friends houses where I discover I have to take off my shoes, and,
if i know them well, I discuss my foot issues, and if I don't know them well, I
take off my shoes and pop a few ibuprofen. I certainly would never complain to
my hosts. But it means I may be in pain when i walk the next day.

"No one complains" is not a way to measure whether you are being hospitable,
because people with good social skills mostly are not going to complain--your
house, your rules!

At places that say "we generally take off our shoes, you should do what is
right for you" I make a very large effort to clean the sole of my
shoes--because they showed respect for my need for shoes, I show respect for
all the people with no shoes who are going to get the dirt from my shoes onto
their feet.

-Liz
Elizabeth Magill
mosaic-commons.org

Where many of us wear shoes in the common house: and we need to sweep a great
deal all winter long.