Re: Smoking Policies
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:08:11 -0800 (PST)
I totally agree that, whether we are talking about the troglodytic lifestyle of
10,000 BC, or the funky conditions of industrial mill towns in England of the
19th century, there is certainly no need to over-romanticize the past.

But now, in the early 21st century, we have arrived at a condition which is
truly new news, and big new news, for the total entirety of 4.5 billion years
of planet earth history, from the Hadean to the Phanerozoic:  For the very
first time, a single species — Hey!  That's you and me! — has the capability to
change the ecological reality of the entire planet.  And to do so very, very
fast — at Warp Factor 10 — relative to geo-time.  With staggering consequences
for billions of people.

So what do we do when this exciting new news arrives on our screen?  We switch
to Oprah.

RPD

PS: Not sure what this has to do with cohousing.  Except maybe, for me, now
that I've lost hope in the big picture, I've re-focused my creative
contributions, such as they are, on the little picture.  Cornerstone in
Cambridge.

RPD, former Chapter Chair of the Mass Sierra Club