Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 94, Issue 37 Bamboo Flooring
From: G/P Looney-Burman (burloonfresnocohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:41:55 -0800 (PST)
We have had a bamboo floor in the Common House dining room for a little over
3 years, which is what was installed during construction.  Although it has
suffered a few dings and dents, it is still OK.  Several of the homes have
bamboo, as well.  There were two kinds of bamboo used in the homes:  the
"engineered" variety with a 3/32" bamboo veneer over about 1/4" of some
other wood (sort of a plywood), and "solid" bamboo, with strips of bamboo
glued together.  Both have been OK but the engineered variety has no grooves
between the boards and seems to be more stable.  The natural, blond bamboo
shows dirt and scuffs much more than the carbonized, honey colored bamboo.
We have the engineered, carbonized in the Common House.

We also tried a "no shoes" policy that fizzled out after just a few weeks.

Overall, I think bamboo is a good product, but as someone suggested, get
samples and test them.  I don't know how to really do a test other than
putting together a small (maybe 3' square) area by a doorway and let people
walk on it for a while.  Perhaps a good flooring contractor would have some
test data, and know which brands are "old" bamboo.

George Burman
La Querencia, Fresno, CA