Re: Unit selection process
From: Pastor Liz (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:58:29 -0800 (PST)
AND to add further to my friend and neighbors impressions....

We actually had to committ to a unit SIZE when we joined as equity
members (5% down), and so when I, seven years after becoming an equity
member, wanted to switch from buying a house on my own, and instead
wanted to share a house with my new life partner (and person who
already had his own 5% down on his own different sized home) we had to
GET PERMISSION FROM THE GROUP to change. I made it funny and fun when
the decision happened, but the reality is I hated the fact that group
had that kind of authority over my personal life.

Then, we designed our home sizes around the make-up of the group, and
thus ended up with four (or five) Four bedroom homes to meet the needs
of the three (or four) families that wanted them. And then right
before move-in all but one of those households needed to drop to a
smaller home size. And now three years later, it is those same
"necessary" homes that are not-yet-sold. What makes it more
frustrating to me is that this is a "known" issue....it is very common
in cohousing for folk to decide they can get by with a smaller house
size (or for the home prices to increase requiring folk to get by with
a smaller house size) at the last minute.
So we knew that information during the design phase. But what group
would build less bigger houses then have people to buy big houses?
Even if you  know that some unknown percent of them will drop to a
smaller size???

And I'm the person who ended up with two basements. I'd still be angry
about that, except for the fact that I have the best house I have ever
lived in, and its in the best community ever created, AND we have
common meals all the time. And a hot tub. And my neice visits just to
use her ripstick on our great walkways. And I know my neighbors. And

-Liz
www.mosaic-commons.org
Berlin, MA.