Wiki [was Facebook page?]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 06:32:07 -0800 (PST)
The most effective tool I've found for  both collecting and storing information
is a wiki. Wikipedia is the perfect example. The reason it works is that people
can edit a subject until it is fully developed and correct. What it takes is
visibility so people remember that it has been established and is up and
working and they can add information.

We have a facilities wiki that the facilities team maintains and uses that is
wonderful for tracking all the historical data about buildings, vendors, costs,
decisions, who said and did what, etc. Even our least email friendly team
members enter data in the wiki regularly. We use Google Sites which is a
completely WYSIWYG interface. You can do HTML but don't have to. I know it so I
go in and correct it when someone has cut and pasted from, God Forbid, Word.

I like email lists because they are spontaneous and instant. No filtering.
Immediate response. Current information. But a wiki is different.

Wikipedia entries define the subject, tell you why it is important, give
history, make connections with other topics, and give current practices. The
information is comprehensive — if someone or many people have cared enough to
make it so. A wiki would be a wonderful resource.

Two things are required — a main person or persons who maintain the structure
and all the elves who contribute information.

Isn't there a wiki somewhere? I keep forgetting because it isn't mentioned
often enough.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines