Re: Wiki [was Facebook page?]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 09:39:30 -0800 (PST)
On 5 Dec 2011, at 11:09 AM, Catya Belfer wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Sharon Villines

>> Two things are required — a main person or persons who maintain the
>> structure and all the elves who contribute information.
>>
> The third thing is someone to moderate / monitor it, which is not something
> we have.  Instead we have gone with adding the information on the website
> as we get it, which also works.

This is what I meat by maintain the structure — I include editing and moving
things in this.

It also needs a cheerleader but the elves can also do this, perhaps with an elf
taking responsibility for adding materials in certain sections — pet policies,
budget process, reserve studies, etc.

> I'd love to get the content on http://l.cohousing.org/cohousingwiki.htm up
> on the cohousing.org website, so that it can be found via nav and searched
> vis the site search.

I haven't checked it out but Wordpress has a plugin that makes a Wordpress site
a wiki.

All the wiki programs I know, except Google Sites, are not really WYSIWYG.
People who don't know HTML get freaked when they see all the gibberish. They
don't even want to try to use the simplest commands. I once showed them how to
put the cursor between the commands <p></p> and just type. Forget the HTML but
they were afraid — knew they would break the whole thing. And visually it is
confusing.

A plug-in might use all the functionality of Wordpress will functioning like a
wiki.

I know the Coho site uses Drupal but a separate directory for a wiki might be
possible or Drupal plug-in.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines