A Home in Community - annual appeal
From: Debby Vajda (debbythe4dgroup.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 19:43:15 -0800 (PST)
Dear Friends,

Four years ago, a small group of people in Corvallis, Oregon joined together to create /A Home In Community/, a nonprofit organization that has the goal of promoting inclusive communities. Through AHIC, people who are physically disabled and low-income can have the opportunity to benefit from the joys of cohousing. Our first project, /A Home at CoHo/, is an ADA-accessible condominium unit at CoHo Ecovillage in Corvallis.Mike Volpe, who has had multiple sclerosis for over 30 years, is our first renter. We also hope to partner with other cohousing communities to create additional affordable rental opportunities for other low-income adults with disabilities.Perhaps even more importantly, we encourage new communities to consider accessibility and visitability in their planning.

Cohousing is truly a perfect antidote for the isolation that often accompanies disabilities.As Mike says:

/For the first time since I was diagnosed with MS thirty years ago, I'm living/

/in a place where I know all of my neighbors care about me and I care about /

/them.I can be with people whenever I want, simply by going out my front /

/door or down the path to the Common House, where I can enjoy community /

/dinners, music and conversation. //The interaction with the children of the /

/community adds an unexpected joy.///

Thanks to generous support from the Corvallis community and others across the country, we were able to purchase this home in October 2007 and Mike moved in the following month.In addition to donations, we received loans from the OSU Federal Credit Union, the City of Corvallis, and private individuals.Our commitment now is to raise the funds needed to pay off these loans so that we can guarantee that this home will be permanently available as an affordable rental to Mike and those who follow him.We will then also be in a stronger position to help other communities replicate our first project.

Every dollar you give saves us approximately $3 in interest and goes directly to the project.We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a volunteer working board; we have no expenses for staff, office or telephone.The only paid person is an accountant, hired by AHIC as a contractor to guarantee fiscal responsibility.

So many organizations have a large pool of funders.We do not.We are therefore asking each of you to look into your hearts and your finances to see if you are comfortable making a tax-deductible donation during our 2011 Annual Appeal.

We would greatly appreciate your care, whether a one-time donation or a monthly commitment.Tax-deductible donations may be sent to the address below and are also welcome on-line at www.AHomeInCommunity.org <http://www.ahomeincommunity.org/>.Each gift means so much.

With heartfelt thanks,

Debby Vajda

President

A Home In Community