Cohousings Make the OED
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 05:39:13 -0800 (PST)
Purely out of procrastination I was perusing the OED and typed in "cohousing."
Much to my surprise I found a detailed entry. Like being in the Library of
Congress catalog, that means cohousing has arrived.

They need a more explicit quote, however. These imply that cohousing is rather
like single room occupancy. If anyone has an address for submissions, please
post it.

co-housing, n.

Pronunciation:  Brit.   /ˈkəʊhaʊzɪŋ/ , U.S. /ˈkoʊˌhaʊzɪŋ/
Etymology:  < co- prefix + housing n.1: see quot. 1988.

 A residential development in which individual households share some common
facilities or amenities, and residents are communally responsible for managing
the community.

1988    K. McCamant & C. Durrett Cohousing i. i. 10/2   In Denmark‥these
communities are called bofœllesskaber in Danish (directly translated as ‘living
communities’), for which we have coined the English term ‘cohousing’. First
built in the early

1970s, cohousing developments have quadrupled in number in the last five years.

1992    Amicus Jrnl. Summer 31/1   Young couples are getting together with
small groups of contemporaries to plan and build co-housing projects, in which
more than one family can share housing or garden amenities.

1998    Earth Matters (Friends of the Earth) Winter 34/4   We visit co-housing
communities; a permaculture village‥; Local Exchange Trading Schemes‥and a host
of other projects.

2000    M. A. Burayidi Urban Planning in Multicultural Soc. iii. 48   Female
single parents may benefit more from the Swedish model of cohousing.‥ Residents
in cohousing have separate bedrooms but share common kitchen and dining
facilities.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines