Paying coho members for professional services
From: Diana Fox (dianafox99gmail.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:24:08 -0800 (PST)
The Durham Central Park Cohousing Community is currently working with our
architects to design our 24-unit, urban cohousing condominium.  We plan on
beginning construction in September 2012.

Some of our coho members who provide professional services for a living
(attorney, accountant, etc.) would like to be paid for the time they spend
working for the community.  Others think this is unfair since they do
community work for free doing things they are paid for outside of the
community.

We'd like to hear how other communities have handled paying members for
services.  Do you allow it at all?  If you do, has it caused problems?
 Does the community get a discount rate?  Do you require itemized invoices
for services rendered or allow a more casual accounting of time?  And
finally, do you allow folks that have been working for free to collect
after the fact for work they did as a volunteer?

Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share!

Diana Fox
Durham Central Park Cohousing Community
Durham, NC
www.durhamcoho.com