Re: Paying coho members for professional services
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 04:58:39 -0800 (PST)
On 12 Dec 2011, at 7:24 PM, Diana Fox wrote:

> We'd like to hear how other communities have handled paying members for
> services.

We don't do it. Our professionals donate services like other members. We have a
lawyer on retainer, hire an auditor, and have a management company that takes
condo fees, pays bills, and does accounting. When you need actionable legal
advice or auditing, for example, you want an independent opinion from someone
who is risking their professional reputation by giving it.

I would consider paying someone who works more than a few hours each week on an
ongoing basis for cleaning and odd jobs than professional services. The daily
stuff is what falls on certain people most heavily and is of daily importance
to all residents. You can hire out the occasional, professional stuff much more
easily. And choice along with it. You can't fire a member.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC