Professionals Re: Paying coho members for professional services
From: Wayne Tyson (landrestcox.net)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:32:49 -0800 (PST)
Coho:

There are two kinds of professional; one puts the work first, the other the buck. There is a special term for the latter.

That said, the professional in the former category "don' get no respeckt." Especially if the professional freely giving services as a member of the community provides information that is inconsistent with the prejudices of the non-professionals who all of a sudden become the proud possessors of "expert" opinions. Does this sound familiar or what?

WT

PS: I am always willing to "donate" services if all others involved in the endeavor also freely give of themselves to the community. However, if a fellow community member (or any friend) needs help with her car, for example, I would not think of charging him for it. If, however, I am in need of professional services and select a friend to perform those services, I believe that it is my obligation to pay just as any other customer or client would; in fact, I prefer to pay more rather than less. However, I tend to prefer to hire someone recommended by the friend so that our friendship is not contaminated by a business deal.