Re: Annual audit ? Bookkeeping? Reserve studies?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:36:47 -0800 (PST)
Cornerstone is organized as a condo association.  In Massachusetts,
associations of less than 50 units are NOT required to purchase an annual
report from a CPA, but associations of 50 units or more ARE so required.

We're 32 units, but chose to buy an "annual report" (well below the grade of a
true audit) because it seemed fiscally prudent and duly diligent.  But we ran
up against two chronic problems:  (1) A "literal" report is basically derived
directly from our QuickBooks file, and isn't much different from reports we can
run ourselves.  On the other hand, an "interpretative" report re-classes all
our income and expenses, and then doesn't agree with our books.  In fact, last
we got a report which claimed to show we (our Treasurer and QuickBooks) had
under-stated income and over-stated expenses — which are the classic indicators
of embezzlement.  Well phooey on that, we know full well that no embezzlement
is occurring at Cornerstone, and that we're looking at accounting "anomalies"
because the CPA and QuickBooks can't agree on standardized accounting practices.

But why pay $3K a year for a report that is wrong?  This year we wised up, and
exercised our option to save $3K a year and not buy the annual report.

Things may be different for other cohos and associations, but for us, financial
life is hardly complex:  We do not have a payroll; we do not have business
income; and we're not a 501(c)(3).  So both our accounting and our tax filings
are dead simple.  We can run our own reports quarterly, and that gives us much
better information than a single annual report which quickly deteriorates into
obsolescence.  A Treasuer, Assistant Treasurer, and a "Bookkeepers, Corps" get
the job done.

We've purchased but a single reserve study, and I think it was about $5000.
But for better or worse, we're very hands-on in our own self-management, and
merely used some of the information in that study to craft our own reserve
plan.  We are now about three years through a five year plan of assessments and
expenditures the community has agreed to as binding.  In another year or so,
we'll do an evaluation, and most likely adopt a second five year plan.

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140