Re: Reserve Studies
From: Karen Carlson (kcarlson2wisc.edu)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:17:56 -0800 (PST)
Our community invested in a reserve study within a year of move in and we have
moved forward with the plan to build up the fund as recommended.  Building the
fund does drive increases in HOA dues but the community has some leeway in how
to manage the increases. I can't imagine a condo association (cohousing or not)
not going with this plan.  (Our study did include major hard landscaping
elements like boulder retaining walls.) Equity is a major factor.  Everyone who
lives here is paying for their use of the assets.  If someone leaves and sells
his/her unit, the new owner will not suddenly be socked with a huge special
assessment for a new roof on a building they've just moved into. All residents,
past & present,  have contributed.  The study also makes it clear that a well
managed community will be looking careful;y at what needs fixing or replacing.
The study is a good guide. An architect or professional developer can recommend
companies that do such studies.

Karen Carlson
Arboretum Cohousing Community
Madison, Wi