Re: Reserve Studies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:10:07 -0800 (PST)
On 29 Dec 2011, at 12:19 PM, Holly McNutt wrote:

> But I wonder if  there is a general rule of thumb that most communities
> follow in terms of how much they should have tucked away.  Like how healthy
> is healthy?

The financial figures in your reserve study should tell you how much you will
need each year and include a spreadsheet and graph showing what amount is
projected to be needed each year. The reason to do a yearly recalculation is to
adjust contributions if there have been unexpected replacements or large
replacements have not been needed.

I can't imagine that any community has an overfunded reserve, but according to
the Reserve Study industry, a strong community will be 70%-100% funded.
Association Reserves (see next message) recommends 100% because then you are
prepared for the unexpected. If you want an affordable community, you want to
be as fully funded as possible. While many on the edge households only look at
the cash flow this month, their boat would be sunk if they had a special
assessment.

The older your community is, the more likely it is to have unexpected, high
replacement costs, and the higher the costs, them more difficult it will be to
come up with them. It's like not saving for college until your child is 16.

This is the link to the Association Reserves entries on percent funded:

http://www.reservestudy.com/?x=0&y=0&s=percent+funded

When communities are 40-50% funded, the chances of having a special assessment
are 10%. At 10-20% funded, 40%. I think these numbers would change if they were
controlled for the age of the community.

In addition to the problem of special assessments there is the issue of
deferring maintenance. If the funds are not available for necessary replacement
of the roof shingles or siding, for example, the internal structure can be
damaged by water and pest infiltration. Association Reserves has found that
this begins to happen at 40% funded — in other words 60% underfunded.

Cohousers have often come out of the mind-set that we are different. This
attitude has helped many communities to overcome huge obstacles, but buildings
are not attitudes.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines