Re: Foreclosures
From: Kay Wilson Fisk (caseyjacketsgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 00:43:24 -0800 (PST)
Ann,

In the case of the two empty units, we reached out to the realtors to
let them know it was important that potential buyers understood that
this was a cohousing community. In one case, the realtor left the key
with the next door neighbor so she could show the unit to prospective
buyers, because he said he had so many foreclosures to deal with that
he didn't expect to have much time to show the unit. (That realty was
eventually replaced with another one, which was the one that made the
sale.)

It seems to have worked, because both new buyers appear to be pleased
with their purchases and not surprised to find themselves as cohousing
owners. This was important because our development is registered as a
condominium, and doesn't include the term "cohousing" in its
incorporated name: Meadow Wood Condominium Association. This is
because we only found one bank in our area that was even willing to
consider financing construction, and the banker told us that the only
way he could convince his board of directors to give us a loan was if
it sounded like a typical condo development. He said the word
"cohousing" would likely scare them off.

Our Declaration uses the term "cohousing" twice, but not in our name.
Our bylaws include a section on decision making by consensus, but
don't use the term cohousing.

Kay