Re: Path lighting
From: Norman Gauss (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:38:29 -0800 (PST)
Hi Bill:

I live in the Oak Creek Commons cohousing community in Paso Robles,
California.  We have just finished replacing our original pathway lighting
fixtures, which were ground level lights designed to mark the edges of
driveways and airport runways.  They were a poor selection by the original
builders.

Instead we replaced the old fixtures with 39 inch tall bollards designed by
Dabmar (www.dabmar.com) .  There are many different designs sold by this
firm, and we chose one that throws its light on the pavement and not
horizontally, the latter which may result in light shining in pedestrians'
eyes and people's homes.  The light source is 35 watt high pressure sodium
bulbs, which have a very long life.  After we finished, we saw how beautiful
our main walkway has become, and we received rave reviews from our members.
We originally contacted a lighting sales firm nearby, and they came out,
gave us recommendations for spacing and an estimated price.  No installation
was included in the price.  We had to arrange that ourselves.   I did some
searching online and located a sales firm in southern California
(www.arcadianlighting.com) that offered the same product for a much lower
price.  So we ordered 11 of them, and  installed them using community labor
and concrete.  It is important to determine the spacing of the fixtures
before the buried electrical lines are laid.  We could not do that because
we were merely replacing the fixtures we had at their original spacing.
Although distance between the fixtures is too wide to provide optimum
illumination, it is certainly better than what we had before.

The fixtures we installed are lightly constructed and would probably be
damaged by a snowplow.  However, we mounted them on concrete bases a few
inches above the ground that would probably obscured by heavy snow.  There
are heavy duty bollards available of a similar design.  I think Kim Lighting
sells them
(http://www.kimlighting.com/products/vandalresistant_round_bollards) .

I hope you can use our research findings and experience to good measure.

Norm Gauss
Oak Creek Commons
Paso Robles, CA