Re: Path lighting
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:22:40 -0800 (PST)
Learn from our tale of woe and make sure that your lights are close enough
to the paths.  We installed our bollards (about 3 feet high) about 3-4 feet
back from the paths.  which means they do an excellent job of lighting up
our front yards, but not so much the paths themselves.

we also we supposed to have reflectors in the light covers that directed
the light down instead of forward, but for one reason or another, that
didn't happen.  We ended up putting foil on the lights to minimize up and
forward glare, which helps somewhat, but what helps most is that we've
installed metal "hoods" of sorts on some of the fixtures.  These work great
but aren't very esthetic.  Although we've mitigated the ugliness by having
some of our more artistic folks do cool cutouts in the hoods, I really
recommend making SURE you have fixtures installed that are downward
lighting right from the getgo.

We've also had numerous electrical problems...water in the conduits and
underground shorts.  This will be expensive to fix.  So this is not an area
to skimp on.