Re: Do you wish you had a rental policy?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 05:46:20 -0800 (PST)
On 23 Jan 2012, at 1:14 AM, R Philip Dowds wrote:

> What we have trouble with is understanding where non-owners fit into the
> community culture.  One view is that adult tenants should have the same
> rights and duties as adult owners, and be integrated into community life as
> fully as possible.  An alternative view is that it's very hard for an owner
> to find a good tenant — and would much harder if the landlord imposed
> cohousing expectations on the pool of candidates.

One place to start might be to distinguish between taking a roommate and
leasing. In Takoma Village roommates may or may not be involved in the
community. The owner is responsible to the community and has their own
agreements with their roommate. They are responsible for the roommate's
behavior as if they were a guest. Some roommates are invisible, others
participate. Some are renters and some are relationships. We wouldn't
necessarily know which.

When owners are not in residence, they lease their units. People who lease
units are expected to behave as the owners would — participate in community
events, workshare, etc. They become Associate Members and participate in
community decisions that don't involve money or legal obligations. Only one set
of leasing residents has not done this. (Our leasing policy is on our website.)

One household has had continuous au pairs who stay for a year since we moved
in, for example. Some participate fully, some we hardly know. Two have returned
to visit and have continuing independent friendships with other residents.

The tension with people who are leasing is that we and they get attached and
then have no place for them to live if and when the owners return. This makes
it difficult.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines