Re: Path lighting
From: rhmorrison (rhmorrisonaol.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 05:28:31 -0800 (PST)
    T William Smith of Belfast (Maine) Cohousing asked about this. IMO it was a
good decision to not go with solar-powered path lighting. The days there are
very short on the shortest days and the lights would probably not store enough
power to stay on for the entire night. This would cause a hazard for the many
people who must walk the paths in the winter before dawn.
  I'm at Mosaic Commons Cohousing in Berlin, MA. We chose path lights that are
2-3 feet off the ground. IMO this was a bad choice. During the winter they are
often buried in snow, which means extra shoveling, on top of the extensive hand
shoveling we must do, to shovel out the lights. Even if they aren't buried in
snow, the snow piles often block the light from reaching the path. So I would
recommend that you have lights that are at least 4 feet high.
   If the lights are within a foot of the path, they WILL be bumped by snow
removal machines, so you are smart to consider this.

Bob Morrison