Re: Documents v. Reality
From: Mary Ann Clark (drmaryannmac.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 08:51:29 -0800 (PST)
Several years ago (2006) when the state laws governing HOAs changed we at
Manzanita Village in Arizona worked with a lawyer who specialized in that sort
of work to revise our CC&Rs and By-Laws to bring them into compliance with the
new laws.

In general, our CC&Rs and By-Laws don't vary significantly from the standard
except that we included verbiage that we were also governed by a third
document, our policy and procedure manual known as the Villager Guide. The
Villagers Guide has all the cohousing-ish policies and procedures and is
relatively easy to change via consensus of the community.

This gave us a "three-legged stool" for governance that has worked very well
for us. It was important to include the information about the Villagers Guide
into the other documents and to state explicitly that when the documents
disagree which one take precedence (generally the Villagers Guide).

Mary Ann