Re: Emergency powers?
From: Mary Ann Clark (drmaryannmac.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:00:52 -0800 (PST)
In general our Steering Committee has no authority to make decisions. All
decisions are made either at the committee level or by the community as a whole.

However, in the case of a real emergency, the Steering Committee is empowered
to act to protect the community or its members.  Here is the relevant statement
from our policy manual:

[The Steering Committee] Exercises emergency authority as required to protect
the health, safety, well being, legal or monetary status of the community.
Ordinarily, the Steering Committee is not a decision-making body although it is
empowered by the community to exercise emergency authority in the event that
the community is facing a time-critical decision that cannot reasonably wait
for a plenary. Such an emergency would involve a physically dangerous
situation, an imminent threat to life or property or some serious legal or
monetary risk with a tight deadline, for example, fire, personal attack by a
community member or an outsider, threatened suicide and the like. If time and
circumstances permit, at least four members must be present at any meeting at
which these emergency powers are invoked. In the event that the Committee
invokes these emergency powers, it must make a prompt and complete report to
the community as soon as reasonably possible.

We also have a process for calling an emergency meeting of the community (a
plenary). Amazingly once we had a procedure in place "emergencies" quit
happening ;-)

Mary Ann
Manzanita Village
Arizona