Re: Web site specificity: opinions?
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 16:51:15 -0800 (PST)
I work in marketing on the web, and I live in cohousing.

My take on your question is this: as a marketing vehicle, will having more
information about our community on our site close more sales and attract more
people? Will this extra effort be worth it for us?

My answer is, No, it would not.

Many prospective coho folks are not very targeted in their questions. Their
concerns may be poorly formed so putting a lot of detail out doesn't help
this. Further, each and every prospective member will make a decision only
after talking with one or more of you. This isn't like shopping online on
Amazon where the written description and image is all you have. The shopping
process is really that - a process.

What I would include on the site are potential deal breakers: like no dogs or
cats, or no wheelchair accessible common house, no meat, huge deposit, or
something else like that which would immediately be used to screen people out.

Be very judicious in taking anecdotal information about your site as gospel or
as reason to act -- e.g. I needed to see your policies before I even considered
your community. I really doubt this was a make or break, even if they say so
now. I don't know which policy they meant, but it would need to be pretty
fundamental one (e.g. no dogs) to count as a screening point.

What I would include:

        * Something about the make up of the community, but still general (17
adults, 9 children aged X toY). Professions include...blah, blah, blah.People
love to read detail about something they desire. Someone else mentioned having
visited a website of a community they adored from afar before moving in. But I
question if the website detail really added that much to a very human, very
transactional process of getting to know folks and looking them in the
eye before deciding to live there.
        * The general layout of the community, an image would nice.
        * Something about the time commitment
        * Values, etc.
        * That you do have policies and something about the governing structure
        * The size of the unit, location, any unusual terms having to do with
sales.
        * Not much else.

I just don't see cohousing community websites as being able to stoke demand
where there isn't any. I think they let people know that you exist, you're
organized enough to have a website, that you're looking for members. The rest
is face to face. Those who want all-volunteer endeavors to have as rich as web
presence as stores are just misguided. Put the effort into more worthwhile
things.

My opinionated two cents,
Mariana
Berkeley Cohousing  - which doesn't need a website because we're small and have
little turnover.