Men in Cohousing (was "Call for journalist interviewing cohousers")
From: G/P Looney-Burman (burloonfresnocohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
When we began our marketing for La Querencia (aka Fresno Cohousing), we came
up with the phrase, "The Case of the Reluctant Spouse," the reluctant spouse
being the husband 99+% of the time.  The main reason given was, "I need my
privacy," or "My husband has to have his privacy."  Our counter to that
("You always have privacy when you want it") was never really accepted or
believed-and the reluctant spouse + wife never returned.

That being said, we had two single males, both divorced and one with two
teenagers, who were part of our original group.  The dad is still here and
still loving it, even with his daughters having moved on after they finished
high school.

In my own case, it was my husband who first said, "I think we should look
into this," after we attended Katie's initial presentation.  I was in shock,
since he had always said he would be perfectly happy in a cave.  I could
have done the cave thing, as long as there was e-mail and a telephone.  All
this translates into both of us being introverts, and saying "privacy
needed" may, in fact, be describing an introvert.

Our community has an Open House every Sunday afternoon, as we continue to
market our remaining units.  There is a married man who has visited several
times who says he would love to live here, but he just can't convince his
wife.so there you go.

Patricia Looney-Burman

La Querencia (Fresno Cohousing)