Re: Sociocracy and blocking
From: Lautner, Patricia (Patricia.Lautnerumassmed.edu)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:03:11 -0700 (PDT)
In JPCohousing, we don't allow any blocking unless the blocker can prove to the
community that they are protecting one of our commonly held values as per our
Values Statement (that is hanging prominently on the wall of our great room).
We get through some tough spots with blocking because someone (usually me!)
reminds the blocker that they need to prove they are protecting a common value.
 If the member is able to say, "I block this decision because value XXYY is not
being protected," we would all stop and listen.

Because of this steadfast rule, nobody can push their personal
values/goals/agendas onto the community via blocking.  Ideally we would like to
review and re-commit to the common values list annually through one of our
retreats, but it doesn't happen annually.

We haven't had anyone block in years. (We have other problems though!  Ha ha,
that's for another thread.)

Patti
JPCohousing
Boston, MA