Doing Rounds
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 05:56:17 -0700 (PDT)
One practice of sociocracy that I think is vitally important is rounds. Good
rounds are the best way to bring people together and create a group. I would
like to day that if you don't have time for rounds, you might as well go home.
An extreme statement, of course, but almost true.

The group I joined in Florida, Synergy Cohousing, that never got built for
reasons unrelated to rounds, used rounds at the beginning and ending of every
event — meetings, potlucks, pool parties — every event. It was incredibly
bonding. No matter how many people there were, we did a round as soon as
everyone was present and before people started leaving.

Children participated as well. We were fortunate enough to have a house to meet
in where the children could participate in rounds and then go play in another
wing while we met.

Sometimes things came out in rounds that we spent most of the meeting
discussing like being assaulted or losing a job. One result was the ability to
discuss business decisions with fuller understanding of those with whom we were
making decisions.

Gilles Charest, a sociocratic trainer in Montreal. says if you want to make a
group decision, you have to have a group. Since each person is different each
time they walk in the door, the group needs to be reformed. He does 2-3 rounds
on a proposal before there is discussion of giving consent or not.

How to do a round:

1. Start in a different place in the circle or room each time so people are not
always speaking last or first. Go in different directions in each round.

2. The facilitator ensures that the round is started and moves along but
doesn't interrupt or control the room unless clearly necessary, for example,
someone else is interrupting or pontificating. People speak in order, the
facilitator indicating the order if people are not in a circle or it isn't
clear who is next.

3. The facilitator models listening and functions as a member of the round.
They do not question or try to clarify statements until the end of the round
when there may be free discussion

4. Each person speaks from their own heart and mind, not in reaction to others
or to argue with others.

5. People may pass. The facilitator may come back to them at the end of the
round to see if they have something to say. The group should be aware if it
seems a person has passed because they are angry or otherwise upset.

It is also good to indicate if this is a quick reaction round, a consent round,
an opening round, a closing round, a listening round, etc. I find the time
limits some like to set antithetical to listening and sharing. The focus
becomes the 30 second or 1 minute rule rather than listening or sharing. With
experience people will intuitively know how long they can speak, and how long
others can listen. Setting at time limit also puts the facilitator in charge
instead of initiating.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines