Re: Co-farming in the Cities
From: Wayne Tyson (landrestcox.net)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 10:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
Sounds like the right way to progress--one tiny step at a time rather than trying to drag politicians and bureaucrats and other lawyers forward into the Age of Self-Sufficiency and away from over-regulation of people (and under-regulation of concentrations of power).

Decades ago, I worked a bit with Rosemary Menninger, a truly energetic pioneer in community gardens who made it happen in California and elsewhere. She would be worth searching for some of her writings, such as http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19780513&id=pWozAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xTIHAAAAIBAJ&pg=4689,5867627 which cautions about contaminants. She has extensive experience.

When I worked with her, I was emphasizing the fact that a lot of food goes to waste in waste places, but one must be cautious about where such food is gathered. Some plant are apparently better at accumulating contaminants that others, the spinach family being a notable example. Actual concentrations and dosage levels require analysis and study, but as far as I know, little of this is done. Planting an area before starting a garden and getting the actual materials to be consumed analyzed might be a good idea.

Not all "contaminants" are necessarily bad, however. Iron, a heavy metal, is poison at certain levels, but a vital element in the diet. Eat your spinach, right? Yeah, well, that depends . . .

It's not my purpose to stimulate an OVER-abundance of caution, but to say that reasonable caution is worth paying attention to, especially in vacant lots. I live on one, and I garden on it, and I eat the food without testing. But that doesn't mean that everybody should, especially younger people. When I forage, I tend to pick higher elevations and more remote places. Knowing something of the past land uses can provide some useful, if preliminary, hints about contamination potential. Even if a bit of land has been contaminated, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will end up in the food at harmful levels.

There's a lot more work to be done on this subject.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Lofft" <tlofft [at] hotmail.com>