Re: Community ownership of a rental property
From: Kay Wilson Fisk (caseyjacketsgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:54:58 -0700 (PDT)
We have a little different arrangement for the purpose of
providing low income housing. Some of our members had set up a
tax-deductible corporation to provide social services a number of
years ago. Due to changing circumstances this organization had
been dormant for a while when we built Meadow Wood in 2006. This
organization was re-activated, and successfully applied for a
$25k grant for a down payment on one unit. The group then bought
the unit, and invited pledges and contributions from residents
and other supporters.

A low income family in need but with good prospects for success
is selected to live in this unit for a year. They pay a portion
of their income in rent based on a sliding scale, and
contributions cover the rest of the mortgage payment. It appears
to be working very well. In the case of the last family to live
there, the head of household was able to complete a job training
program, and is now renting a different unit in the community
with a family member.

Kay Wilson
Meadow Wood cohousing
www.mwcondo.com