Re: financing capital projects
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 16:48:05 -0700 (PDT)
We had a cash call to finance assorted improvements in 2008.  We set a minimum
amount of the cash call - enough to pay a share of the most necessary
improvements. We also had several other projects that we wanted but were not
crucial.   We also asked those for whom it was possible to pay over an above
the minimum so we could atke on additional projects..  We had a couple of
households for whom the cash call was a major financial burden at the time, and
3 or 4 household who contributed additional money towards the call.  The group
decided that at the discretion of the finance committee, households could
request to provide part of the cash call in labor, valued at a set amount per
hour, and that you could also request to make payments over a 12 month period
instead of paying it up front. This worked out for the households and for the
community, since we had a great need for labor and project management. One
household oversaw several projects as part of
 their labor, another took on assorted jobs for the community. It worked out
pretty well.