Common House Design Workshop
From: Grace Kim (graceschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 00:17:11 -0700 (PDT)
Common House Design...requires special consideration.
As the living room for the community, the Common House sets the initial
impression for visitors about what cohousing is, what your community
values might be, or the perceived benefits of living in community.

Here are a couple of tips to consider:

Seating
Select a single style of dining chair - one that is comfortable, attractive,
easy to maintain, and ideally stackable. A commercial grade chair should be
selected over a residential grade to ensure durability and ability to withstand
long term use - Ikea chair looks great but will need to be replaced in a year
or two. However, this is not an excuse to disregard design - Rubbermaid folding
chairs are durable and inexpensive, but do little to enhance the sense of home
or community.

Lighting
Quality lighting can enhance the sense of community and encourage intimate
conversation during common meals. Provide pendants over each table to provide
flexible lighting - install dimmer switch to increase light levels for table
setting and cleanup as well as a softer light level for dining. Additionally,
provide brighter ambient fixtures around perimeter or above to provide overall
illumination for sweeping fl oors or general meetings. Provide a third level of
lighting to serve as a night light for those who enter the dining room at night
and require a minimal amount of light to navigate the room.

I have analyzed scores of common houses in Denmark and North America to discern
what works and doesn't work. Following Christopher Alexander's concept of
Pattern Language, I have thoroughly documented the necessary programmatic and
design elements for a successful Common House. If you are in a forming
community ready to start design, or if you are unhappy with the current
functionality of your common house, I invite you to join me in a pre-conference
workshop focusing on Common House Design at the upcoming National Cohousing
Conference.  Workshop is June 15, 1:15-5pm.
http://conference.cohousing.org/2012/workshops/chdesign

If you won't be attending the conference, you can obtain a copy of my book
Designing the Cohousing Common House ($45 plus shipping).  The table of
Contents can be found here.
http://www.schemataworkshop.com/research/cohousing/common-house-design/

grace h. kim | schemata workshop inc.
aia, principal architect