Re: Common House Design Workshop
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 07:18:07 -0700 (PDT)
On 10 Jun 2012, at 3:17 AM, Grace Kim wrote:

> Ikea chair looks great but will need to be replaced in a year or two.

I'm in support of Grace's wonderful email, but would like to add a few points.
Another strategy is to set the big bucks aside to buy good long lasting
furniture later, and test a few quickly disposable chair styles to see what you
really want. We were fortunate to be able to test a whole range of chairs
before we bought them, and found an excellent one that cost $100+ and after 12
years looks good as new, stacks easily, and is incredibly comfortable. But we
were able to test it, unlike our tables.

But we bought expensive tables that we thought were perfect only to find that
12 years later they are a yoke around our necks. They weigh 100+ pounds and
require two people to move and fold them. They are absolutely sturdy and
attractive and unfortunately will be with us forever. Our fear of flimsy set us
up with too solid.

The key to testing first, however, is to set aside the money. Don't think you
will come up with it later. It's very important to budget for the CH
furnishings so your members can include those funds in their mortgages.

> Provide pendants over each table to provide flexible lighting - install
> dimmer switch to increase light levels for table setting and cleanup as well
> as a softer light level for dining.

I'm not sure about pendants since we rearrange our tables often for many
different kinds of events — but we are in the process of refurbishing our CH
and the thing we most want to change is the lighting. And it is very expensive
to do, so pay attention to this up front.

I'm not sure why but at the time we built, the most energy efficient fixture
and bulb combinations were not dimmable. With dimmers, you can bake your cake,
eat it, and clean up afterwards using the same fixtures.

We also want to install more wall sconces to highlight areas. Lamps don't work
in our dining room because there are too many children, everywhere. On and
behind furniture and crawling on the floor. One child sets off the other. And
the adults are all talking to each other, praying not to be interrupted.
Sconces are subtle, attractive, and stable.

I won't be at the conference this year but if I were, I would attend this
conference.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines