Re: custom tables
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
I find that the noise level at meals is directly proportionate to the size of
the tables. I enter the CH from a second floor corridor to a walkway that
overlooks the dining room. I can tell how the tables are arranged when I open
the door.

If they are in the usual three long lines of tables, the sound is pretty
deafening.

If it is a quiet murmur, I know the tables are arranged individually with 4-6
at a table.

Many people, however, prefer the large tables. For one thing, at a large table
you can talk to a variety of people throughout the meal. Right, left. Across,
down the way, farther down the way, etc. And easily change seats as people
leave or change seats themselves.

At small tables you are limited to "those who brung ya". If you change seats,
it is obvious who you are leaving behind because you are going to another
table. Unless you have a particular intimate 4-some that you want to sit with,
4 is hard and 6 still a bit restrictive.

I think the traditional dining hall table that is along and narrow had a
function — and we need better acoustics to accommodate our hearing.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC