article about Coliving
From: Seth Schneider (sethshareable.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:37:25 -0700 (PDT)
I hope this isn't too far off-topic, but I thought that folks on
Cohousing-l might be interested in this article we just ran on Shareable. It's
about a new strand of intentional community called "coliving," which
reimagines home as a space for community and social innovation, and which
is heavily influenced by coworking. Below is a brief excerpt from the
article.

-Seth

*Hacking Home: Coliving Reinvents the Commune for a Networked Age*

Here, “home” is reinvented with a new purpose. It’s a community, an ethos,
a series of opportunities for collaboration. And while most young
professionals are flocking to urban centers like San Francisco to live in
modest apartments, some are building a new American dream in once empty
suburban McMansions and luxury downtown digs. In this new scheme, your
network isn’t just your Facebook friends or business contacts; It includes
your friends, influencers, ad hoc family, and your shared home.
... “Roommate situations are typically based on who can afford to pay the
rent and who has one or two things in common,” says Chelsea Rustrum, an
entrepreneur and coliving advocate. In a coliving home, the connections are
stronger. Even if residents don’t know each other prior to moving in, “we
have this vision in common of how we want to change the world,” she says.

Read more at:
http://www.shareable.net/blog/hacking-home-coliving-reinvents-communal-living-for-a-networked-generation