Re: Meal Cleaners—any good solutions for getting 'em?
From: S. Kashdan (s_kashdanhotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
At Jackson Place     Cohousing in Seattle, Washington, we usually have four
meals during the week and one meal (breakfast or dinner) on the weekend.

Volunteering for the meals program is separate from other chores people do
to help maintain the community. It is a spearate program that people can
choose to participate in or not, as they feel appropriate. At any one time,
about one-third of residents are very active in the meals program, about
one-third are moderately active, and about one-third are only involved
sporatically. How people are involved changes over time.

We have a meals team that asks cooks and cleaners to commit to either
cooking or cleaning a month in advance. We have two cooks and two cleaners
for each meal. We also have one or more shoppers for the meals program. The
people who volunteer to cook on a specific day choose the menue and let the
meals team shoppers know so there will be the correct kind and amount of
food for that meal when it is scheduled.

The meals schedule, with menues and cooks and cleaners is printed in a book
so people can sign up for the meals they want to participate in.

The cleaners set up for the meal, the cooks prepare the food, and the
cleaners clean up afterwards.

If the two volunteer cleaners and two cooks have not committed for a
specific meal, that meal will be canceled. This doesn't happen often,
although sometimes people trade cleaning or cooking days, and menues may be
moved along with the cooks committing to a new day.

Our meals program has been going for ten years and seems to work well, with
ongoing fine-tuning.

Cohousingly,
Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan