Re: Meal Cleaners—any good solutions for getting 'em?
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:08:05 -0700 (PDT)
Our system is similar.

We have a scheduler (me). I take what people want to do, and how often and when
they want to do it. I make a two month schedule with cooks, assistants and
cleaners.

We have a vision of four meals a week, but I simply remove from the schedule
meals the ones that don't have enough staffing.

So my example list looks like this:

CLEAN-UP
Joe (twice a month, Not thursdays, not brunch, not July 4-16)
Sue (once a month, not weekends)
Juan-Luis (once in two months, not august 12-22)

COOK
Clarine (once in two months, dinners only)
Duane (once a month, brunch only, two assistants)
Sun-Oak (once in two months, extra clean-up staff helpful)

I have the cooks fill out a doodle poll of dates they are available, about half
of them actually fill it out.

The result is that we generally have three meals a week (Thursday dinner,
Sunday dinner and either tuesday dinner or a weekend brunch).
This summer scheduling round (July August) we likely will have only an average
of 2.5 meals per week, because of not enough sign-ups. (IF i ever finish the
schedule. YEESH.)

Cooks mostly really commit to the their dates, clean-up folk do not seem to
treat it as a commitment. There is a lot of trading and sometime a meal that is
short a full staff. Then people pitch in, and then complain later to me.
Haven't a clue what I can do about it, but I'm good at listening!

We have no rule about working meals: you pay to eat and are reimbursed for
cooking expenses (up to a $5 per person cap).

At the start (three years ago) we had at least one person from every household
involved in making the meals work, we are now at 87% of households doing the
work.

I totally would love if people would say "I'll always do first tuesdays" but we
have a community where almost everyone says they can't plan ahead that way.

-Liz
Elizabeth Magill
www.worcesterfellowship.org